Thursday, January 20, 2005

My obsession

I started drinking tea as a habit my sophomore year in college. There was one of those coffeehouse slash café places on campus. It had (has?) comfy chairs and lots of table space, like something you'd see on a sitcom. Mango Ceylon was my drink of choice. Three sugars and a drop of milk. I was quite the regular, visiting at least twice a week for a year. I got married early in my junior year & I stopped going to school (& in turn the coffeehouse slash café) soon after. The Mango Ceylon was no more. Funny thing though, I married a Brit. Brit's are known for their love of tea. Crooked yellow teeth surrounded by puckered lips sipping tea with pinkies in the air. Hmm... got a little carried away with the stereotype. I tease my husband for not really being British anyway. (He's just passed the point of having lived in the States longer than the UK.) So being somewhat British, as he is, he does possess the automatic response of "yes" when offered tea. This has fueled the obsession. He's kept the habit going (now onto British Breakfast and Irish Breakfast) and accelerated it, making me sweat tea. We spur each other on. We've started drinking our tea loose leaf, & somehow I've aquired a collection of teapots. Another interesting phenomenon is the staining of our kitchen sink. You know you're drinking a lot of tea when the house you've been in for 5 months has evidence of the fact. As much as I can tell there is never a bad time to have/offer tea. The last episode of Poirot I watched was the clincher, "I'm sorry for your loss Madame, may I offer you some tea?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home